We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Reynolds Army Health Clinic

Reynolds Army Health Clinic

4301 Wilson St, Fort Sill (OK), 73503, United States

Get Directions

Add phone number

Categories
Now CLOSED
Work hours
MO 07:00 – 19:00 SA 08:00 – 12:00
TU 07:00 – 19:00 SU closed
WE 07:00 – 19:00
TH 07:00 – 19:00
FR 07:00 – 19:00
About Welcome to Reynolds Army Health Clinic official Facebook page, where you will find the most recent news stores, videos, and photos.
Reynolds Army Health Clinic cover
Description The U.S. Army Medical Department Activity traces its beginning to January 1869, when the Fort was occupied as a base of operations, against the Indians by General Sheridan. Basic field medical care was provided in tents to the troopers of the 10th United States Cavalry.

A permanent 24-bed Post Hospital was completed in March 1875. The building consisted of a central two-story administration block and mess, with ward wings to its east and west, and an observation tower above.

In 1889, an Apache Prisoner-of-War Hospital was constructed at the rear of the Post Hospital. It was the first general Indian Hospital established in Oklahoma. The famous Apache Chief Geronimo died there of pneumonia on 17 February 1909. The building was used as an Indian Hospital until 1914.

A 36-bed ward was added to the west end of the hospital in 1913, raising its capacity to 60 beds. During WWI, a complete, temporary hospital of 500 beds with 10 wards was constructed around the Post Hospital. After the war, the temporary hospital was demolished in 1918. An additional hospital ward and specialized clinics were added to the east in 1925.

As a result of Fort Sill being designated the permanent home of the Field Artillery School, extensive additions were begun on the hospital. An administrative building, nurses' quarters, and the medical detachment barracks were completed by 1936. These buildings are still in use today.

During WWII, it again became necessary to expand the hospital, and in 1941, a cantonment type "Annex Hospital" was constructed near Gate 2. It gave the Post Hospital an additional 1200 bed capacity. The "temporary" annex continued in partial use as a medical facility for many years past its planned life.

Construction of a 250-bed hospital was begun in July 1962. That hospital, building 4700, was dedicated on 7 October 1965 in honor of Major General Charles Ransom Reynolds. It replaced two facilities, the cantonment hospital near Gate 2 and the main hospit

Similar places nearby