Riggs Library was the main library of Georgetown University from 1891-1970, until being replaced by Lauinger Library. It was housed in the south tower of Healy Hall, on the third floor. Riggs Library is one of the few extant cast iron libraries in the nation. The library still serves its original function of storing books despite its primary use as a formal event space. The library's construction was funded by E. Francis Riggs as a memorial to his father and brother, and was supervised by architect Paul Pelz, who designed Healy Hall and the Library of Congress, although Riggs did not open until a full decade after Healy Hall opened for use.