|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Rome Fire Department responds to many types of calls. Rome Fire is also part of the Ashtabula County Water rescue team.|
The earliest fire protection was the old dinner bell which would ring non stop if an emergency would occur. Friends and families would come as fast as possible with their buckets to form a "bucket brigade" and save whatever may be salvagable. In 1927 Rome Twp. entered an agreement with Rock Creek Village to provide fire protection through the Rock Creek Fire Dept. for $50.00 per year. In 1931 the fee was lowered to $25.00 per year!
In about 1935, H. D. Kellogg started a project to provide Rome with its own volunteer fire department. The department started with 15 men and each man was supplied with two 12 quart buckets which were painted red. these were only to be used for fires and when a man answered the call, he had to bring his buckets along. In August of 1935, Rome Township Trustees approved funds to be used for other equipment. Through the years additional "used equipment" was secured for the fire department. In the early 1950's a levy was passed to secure funds to buy a new international Fire Truck, their was much debate and promising to muster up the votes needed to secure this truck and in 1955 a two bay fire building was built to house it. Charles Hedrick was Fire Chief during the construction of the fire hall.
Today, Ed Koziol is Fire Chief and many hours per month go into the training, maintenance, and recording of our department.