We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Saints Peter and Paul Garrison Church

Saints Peter and Paul Garrison Church

Lviv, Ukraine

Get Directions

Add phone number

Categories
Work hours Add information
Description Saints Peter and Paul Garrison Church is known to Lviv's residents as the Jesuit Church and was built in the style of early baroque in the beginning of the 17th century. The building resembles Rome's Il Gesù Cathedral and is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in Lviv. The church was reopened on December 6, 2011 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The rite of consecration of the church building and the celebration of the first Divine Liturgy was done by Archbishop and Metropolitan of Lviv of UGCC bishop Ihor Voznyak.HistoryThe year 1540 saw the formation of one of the biggest and most famous communities the Society of Jesus, more known as the Jesuit Order. Within a short time the members of the Society started active missionary work. Jesuits came to Lviv in 1584 and already in 1590 the first wooden church of the Society of Jesus was erected near the western part of the city’s defensive walls where the Jesuit gate was located. The construction works of the existent Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul began in 1610. During 1618 – 1621 the architect of the Jesuit Order Giacomo Briano supervised the construction works. In 1624 the first lateral St. Benedict chapel was consecrated.In 1630 the church was completed and consecrated by the Archbishop of Lviv Jan Andrzej Próchnicki. In 1702 according to Martyn Hodny’s project the bell tower was erected; it became the tallest Lviv tower (about 100 metres) where in 1754 a clock was mounted. After the dissolution of the Jesuit Order in 1773 the church started functioning as a military garrison church. In 1830 the tower was pulled down after the Town Hall tower fell in 1828. When in 1814 the Pope Pius VII renewed the Jesuit Order, they returned to Lviv in 1820. During 1836 – 1848 the Jesuit fathers led active pastoral work. They performed the duties of prison chaplains, organised prayer brotherhoods and provided monastic communities with spiritual care. In 1848 during the

Similar places nearby