|Work hours||Add information|
Official website of Samaria gorge http://www.samaria.gr
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
telephone :030 2821045570
Samaria gorge - National Park since 1962
After 30 minutes of descent found the source Neroutsos. Leaving behind the source and along the downhill path, we reach after 45 minutes in the chapel of St. Nicholas. In 60 minutes the Agios Nikolas appears ahead, the ruined village of Samaria, located approximately in the middle of the path.
Here you will find the wayfarer a small station that is equipped with telephone and first Emergency aid and toilets with running water. Here also can rent whoever wants a mule for the remainder of the journey. The gorge was abandoned in 1962 when the Greek government declared the area of the canyon national park.
The Most of the Samariotes moved to St. Roumeli and elsewhere. Now, most houses are in ruins. Only churches Ossia Mary, Christ and St. George fighting the erosion of the time.
The Ossia Maria is the oldest of the three. Built in 1379 by the Venetians then prevailing in Crete and have little economic interest in timber-rich forests of the gorge. The name "Ossia Maria" gradually became "Sia Maria", "Sa Maria" and finally Samaria. At 45 minutes after the gorge is in our path a great source, known in the region as Kefalovrisi or Kefalovriso.
The presence of running water from the sea Kefalovrisi to do the latter part of the journey more enjoyable. In 20 minutes Kefalovrisi to find the church of the Transfiguration and more after the Sidiroportes. It is the narrowest part of the gorge, about three meters wide and several meters deep. Approximately 30 minutes from the Doors and just get out of the limits of the gorge one arrives at the old St.Roumeli