The Samuel Read Hall Library is the library at Lyndon State College, a member of the Vermont State College system. The library is named for Samuel Read Hall, an educational pioneer and native Vermonter and is located in the Library Academic Center on the college's campus in Lyndon Center. The mission statement of the SRH Library is “to provide a haven for inquiry and reflection. We support students and the broader community by providing resources, staff and services that encourage research, engage curiosity, and cultivate lifelong learning.”Library historyWhen Lyndon State College relocated to its new home on the top of Vail Hill in 1951, the library that had been at the nearby Lyndon Institute (where the college began as a teacher education program) was moved to Vail Manor and housed in one of the mansion's twin towers. Twelve thousand volumes were moved by hand in one weekend. In 1965, the library expanded into its own building in what is now the Harvey Academic Center. Lyndon Professor Emeritus and Vermont state senator Graham S. Newell selected Samuel Read Hall as the library’s namesake. In 1972, the current library building was opened, and in 1980, the building won a design award from the American Institute of Architects for being a “bridge” from one side of campus to the other. By 1994, however, the library and the college had both outgrown their space, and so the decision was made to expand the library building into what would become known as the Library Academic Center, or LAC. The renovated building, which opened in 1995, added one floor of library space and one floor of classrooms.