|Work hours||Add information|
North Carolina Mission Statement:
The guiding mission of the North Carolina State Board of Education is that every public school student will graduate from high school, globally competitive for work and post-secondary education and prepared for life in the 21st Century.
Cleveland County Mission Statement:
Cleveland County Schools will equip all students with the knowledge and skills to become productive citizens in a globally competitive world by partnering with our community to provide appropriate educational experiences.
Cleveland County Vision Statement:
To fully equip students by striving to be one of the 10 best performing districts in the state.
We will make student learning and development our focus.
We will accomplish our work in an orderly, caring and safe environment.
We will create partnerships that have meaning for our students and their education.
We will support a community of learners.
We will challenge students to reach their fullest potential.
We will have high expectations for our students, parents and staff.
We will make decisions based on what is best for students.
We will use data as a tool for decision making.
Shelby High School was first mentioned in local papers of the time as being established in June 1877 by Professor J.A. Smith with G.W. Sharpe and Miss Laura Sharp as instructors. Two articles of early 1887, mention Miss E.A. Draughton as an assistant at the Shelby School. Attendance was recorded as ninety. It is not certain whether this was an early public or private school. Little information is available on public schools in Shelby prior to 1901, when all the records burned.
Shelby Graded School was opened in 1892 after Shelby Public Schools voted a special tax levy to support schools on March 7, 1891. Shelby Graded School was housed in the building formerly occupied by Shelby Military Institute. The first graduating class exercises in the history of the school were held on April 28, 1905. The school's enrollment was 400. The two receiving diplomas for complete the 10th grade were Misses Gertrude Hamrick and Mabel Jetton. Clyde E. Hoey presented the scholarship medal to Gertrude Hamrick. The public was not invited because the assembly hall was too small.
The Shelby Graded School building burned on October 13, 1905. Nothing was saved from the building which had served Shelby students for over 30 years. At the beginning of the term in 1906, the higher grades were housed in the court house. Plans were made to them into rooms over the Shelby National Bank.
The new Shelby Graded School building which was constructed at a cost of $30,000 was opened around January 1, 1907. Shelby Graded School operated as a grade school 1-10 until 1923. As the new elementary schools were opened from 1923 to 1927, the elementary grades were phased out of Shelby Graded School. While the elementary grades were being moved out to new schools from 1923 to 1927, Shelby Graded was referred to as Central School. The name change to Shelby High School came about in 1927-1928 when only grades 8 to 10 remained.
Shelby High was housed in the old Shelby Graded building at 204 West Mari