The Silver Mountain Station is a historic railway station located in the Thunder Bay District, Ontario. It sits at the intersection of Highway 588 and Highway 593. Now operated as a restaurant, it was constructed in 1907 as a major station along the Port Arthur, Duluth and Western Railway. It is also currently home to the Silver Mountain and Area Historical Society.HistoryThe history of the Silver Mountain area dates back to 1881 when prospector Oliver Daunais discovered silver southwest of Thunder Bay. This discovery became the Rabbit Mountain Mine in 1882, and quickly a number of other mines were opened in the same vicinity. In 1884 Daunais would locate silver further west of the Rabbit Mine around an 1800-foot hill that would eventually bear the name “Silver Mountain.” Two mines were constructed on either side of the mountain; Silver Mountain East End and Silver Mountain West End.In 1889 the Port Arthur, Duluth and Western Railway (PAD&W) was constructed into the area to exploit these mines, as well as iron deposits closer to the Canada–United States border at Gunflint Lake. To serve the workings at Silver Mountain, a station was established on the railway several kilometres north of the mines and 39 miles from the town of Port Arthur, Ontario. This station was a crude log structure that measured 10 x 20 feet.