Sir Harry Smith Community College is a secondary school in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire. Opened in 1953 on the former site of the Whittlesey Workhouse, the College is named after 19th Century English Army General Sir Harry Smith who was born in Whittlesey, and whose grave is situated in the cemetery adjacent to the school. The college, originally known simply as the Sir Harry Smith School, specialises in science and mathematics.HistoryInitial plans for a new senior school involved using the defunct Whittlesey Workhouse, but despite approval from the Whittlesea Board of Governors in 1938, the Isle of Ely Education Board decided that a new school should be built instead. The Workhouse was subsequently demolished and it was not until October 1947, following delays caused by the outbreak of the war, that approval was finally given by the Ministry of Education for a new school. Designed by County Architect R. D. Robson and built by Whittlesey firm Rose & Sons, construction of the school started on the former workhouse site on Eastrea Road in August 1950. It was the first new school to be started in Cambridgeshire since the war, although not the first to be completed.The school opened to 360 students in September 1953, replacing the separate Boys’ and Girls’ senior schools in Station Road and Low Cross respectively, with an official opening ceremony taking place in October the following year. Whittlesey-born Irving Nelson Burgess M.B.E. was selected from 226 applicants as the first Headmaster and to date remains the longest-serving Head, remaining until his retirement in December 1970. The school was known simply as 'The Sir Harry Smith School' until becoming a Community College in 1971.