Skaill House is a historic manor house in Sandwick parish on Mainland, the largest of the Orkney Islands. The house overlooks the neolithic site, Skara Brae, and the Bay of Skaill.In 1977, the house was included in the List of Scottish Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.HistorySkaill House is situated near to the site of Skara Brae, and the lands were in use from neolithic times. Various finds from the Bronze- and Iron Ages show continuing use. The name Skaill derives from the Old Norse word for "hall". The names of all the surrounding farms are also derived from that language, and it is presumed that the lands have been permanently settled for over a thousand years.After the execution of Patrick Stewart, 2nd Earl of Orkney for treason in 1615, the lands were given to the Bishop of Orkney. In 1620, Bishop George Graham constructed a simple manor house, the first part of what is now Skaill House. His son became the laird of the estate, and the property was from that time passed down to succeeding lairds.