We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
St Edmund's School Canterbury

St Edmund's School Canterbury

St Thomas Hill, Canterbury, CT2 8, United Kingdom

Get Directions

1227-475600

Categories
Work hours Add information
Description St Edmund's School, Canterbury is an independent day and boarding school located in Canterbury, Kent, England for girls and boys aged 3-18, including the Choristers of Canterbury Cathedral.HistorySt Edmund's School Canterbury was first established in 1749, as the Clergy Orphan Society in Yorkshire. In 1812, the school moved to St John's Wood at the nursery end of Lord's Cricket Ground. An associated school for girls was located on the same site, but later moved to become St Margaret's School, Bushey in Hertfordshire.In 1855, the school moved to Canterbury. The acquisition of property and financing to build the school was provided by Samuel Warneford. The main school building was designed by the architect Philip Charles Hardwick, while the chapel was completed in 1858.In 1982, girls were admitted to the school.HeadsThe name of the first Headmaster, between the years 1751 and 1762, is unknown.The Revd Daniel Addison (1762 - 1783)The Revd Daniel Addison (1783 - 1804)The Revd Thomas Cripps (1804 -1805)The Revd Evan Jones (1805 - 1813)The Revd William Farley (1813 - 1816)The Revd Thomas Wharton (1817 - 1837)

Similar places nearby