|Work hours||Add information|
|About||St. Gertrude the Great Catholic Church Parish in Des Allemands, LA is a Roman Catholic Church Parish Celebrating 60 years of parish life in 2015!|
|Mission||St. Gertrude Parish is called by God to live, teach and serve as Jesus did. The parish exists to enable all it’s members both young and old, to deepen their relationship with God and to help others both within the parish and in the world to draw closer to god and one another, thus becoming a community of believers living the Gospel message.|
The History of St. Gertrude Parish
Germans settled the town of Des Allemands in 1721. Long before a church building existed in Des Allemands, Mass was celebrated in the homes of several parishioners and occasionally in the school building by a priest from Holy Rosary church in Taft. Riding on horseback, train, or boat he tended to the needs of his extended flock, recording baptisms, marriages, and deaths. Then in 1901, a mission chapel was built along the bayou on the site of our present cemetery.
St. Gertrude Church, as we know it today, became a parish on June 25, 1955, with its first resident priest, Reverend Joseph B, Pooley. Durning his service of 19 years, the present church was built with the groundbreaking ceremony held on September 30, 1956. The rectory was added in 1963.
The second pastor of St. Gertrude, Reverend William McCallion, came to us on September 14, 1974, and spearheaded the formation of the Catfish Festival, which was first held in 1975. Des Allemands was declared the "Catfish Capital of the Universe." The festival has served our church well providing financial support to our small church parish. Father "Mac" as he was affectionately known, died on March 23, 1984, leaving the community heartbroken. Mourners packed St. Gertrude church and cemetery where he was laid to rest in the community, which he had come to love.
Soon after, Reverend Paul Lamberty came to tend the spiritual needs of our parish. In 1987 he was called to serve the Archdiocese in another capacity. Father Eugene Jaques then led our parish until 1988 when Father Edward Grice came to pastor our congregation. We shard Father "Ed" with the United States Army's sevicemen and women at Fort Polk during the Gulf War. In 1996, he was reassigned to a bigger parish. Father Steven Leszczynski served our community for a short time, he left a big impression on our hearts. Father Donald O'Donnell was our pastor from 1997-1999. When Father O'Donnell left, we were blessed wi