|Work hours||Add information|
|About||We, the members of St. Mary Parish are called to participate in the mission of Jesus Christ.|
|Mission||We, the members of St. Mary Parish are called to participate in the mission of Jesus Christ. In union with the universal church and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we seek to foster an atmosphere of prayer, service and sharing in our faith community. We will reach out to those in need and play a visible role in our community. We welcome anyone seeking to enrich their spiritual life.|
St. Mary Parish- 171 South Wood Ave, Peshtigo, WI 54157
Phone number- (715)582-3876
SS. Joseph & Edwards- W3308 County Road G, Porterfield, WI 54159
Phone number- (715)789-2254
St Mary Parish, October of 2015 - Celebrating our 150th Anniversary!
Fr. Anthony Mazeaud, the first pastor at Peshtigo, arrived in 1865. The second pastor was Fr. Peter Pernin who arrived in 1868. With help from his parishioners, the first church
was build and nearly completed in the fall of 1871. It burned in the Great Peshtigo Fire that very fall. This terrible fire destroyed the entire town and much of the surrounding areas.
Although the first church went up in flames like the rest of the booming town of Peshtigo (population 1700 and growing quickly) on that fateful night of October 8, 1871, Fr. Perrin
did save the church tabernacle containing the Blessed Sacrament that evening by placing it on a cart and hauling it to the Peshtigo River. Finally, he had to push the wagon into the
Peshtigo River and abandon it to save his own life. The next day a survivor who was a St. Mary parishioner asked Fr. Pernin if he had seen the ‘great miracle!’. The priest hurried
to the part of river where he had left the tabernacle. There it sat on logs floating on the water, its snowy whiteness a beautiful contrast to the grimy, charred blackness of everything
around it. Fr. Perrin left the tabernacle where it was found for two days, “so as to give all the opportunity of seeing it”. The Catholics generally regarded this as a miracle and it was
spoken of near and far, attracting great attention. After at least three moves by area priests within upper Wisconsin (approx. 1900-1978) the tabernacle was finally returned to
St. Mary Peshtigo largely through the efforts of Fr. Michael Clifford. It can be seen in the church during the winter months and is on loan to the Peshtigo Fire Museum from
May through October.
On March 19, 1927 (Feast of St. Joseph) tragedy in the form of fire again struck the parish. It was