St Michel de Sillery Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Sillery, Quebec City. It is situated between Quebec Route 136 to the south and the College of Jesus and Mary of Sillery to the north and is in the borough of Sainte-Foy–Sillery–Cap-Rouge. Although, the current church was built on 1852 and was originally dedicated to Saint Columba, it was founded in 1644 on the same site as a chapel by the Jesuits.HistoryFoundationIn 1637, the Jesuits arrived and founded a mission in the area. They built the Maison des Jesuites to minister to the local First Nations population. They named their mission after Saint Joseph. In 1644, they built a chapel, dedicated to Saint Michael, for the French and First Nations peoples on a promontory in Sillery known as Pointe à Puiseaux. The Jesuits left in the late 1600s.Until 1847, the local Catholic population had to travel to Sainte-Foy or Quebec City to attend Mass. That year, a local timber merchant, Patrick McInenly, had his house converted into a place of worship, St. Richard's Chapel. Later, with the congregation increasing, it was decided to build a church on the site of the first chapel.