St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral is a heritage-listed cathedral at 330-334B Vulture Street, Kangaroo Point, Queensland, Australia. It was designed by Gregory Mechonoshin and Cavanagh and Cavanagh and built from 1935 to 1950s by B Robinson. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.HistoryThe Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas was erected in 1935-1936. It was the first purpose-built Russian Orthodox church in Australia, and one of the earlier parishes established in the post-1917 Russian Diaspora, yet its construction came comparatively late in the history of Russian emigration to Queensland.A trickle of Russian emigration to Queensland had been sustained through the 19th century, with numbers increasing substantially from the 1880s. These immigrants were popular with the Queensland government, assimilating rapidly. Most moved into rural occupations, and those who remained in Brisbane gained employment principally in the railways, meatworks and factories. By 1911, Russians comprised the fourth largest ethnic group in Brisbane, congregating in South Brisbane-Woolloongabba.Queensland's largest intake of Russian immigrants took place in the years 1911-1914. Many were radicals and revolutionaries seeking asylum from tsarist political repression in the final chaotic years of the Russian Empire; considerable numbers were Jews escaping state-inspired pogroms. They had fled Russia via Siberia and Northern China, most making their way to Harbin, in Manchuria, then taking passage from the port of Dalian to Townsville or Brisbane, the first Australian ports of call.