St Peter’s Church is an Anglican Church in the London Borough of Lambeth. It is a Grade II* listed building and occupies a prominent position in Leigham Court Road, Streatham.ParishUntil Streatham Hill and West Norwood railway stations were opened in 1856, the area that became St Peter’s parish was mainly rural, with some large villas along Leigham Court Road and Crown Lane. The advent of the railway that links these stations with Victoria stimulated residential development including additional large houses and also substantial numbers of more modest semi-detached and terraced properties.The parish of St Peter, Streatham was formed from parts of the parishes of St Leonard, Streatham and St Luke's, West Norwood. In about 1866 a temporary iron church, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul was erected on the west side of Leigham Court Road, opposite the site of the present structure. The parish of St Peter was formed in 1870, the year in which the initial portion of the present church building, which had been designed by Richard Drew, was consecrated by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester. In 1886–87, after further funds had become available, the church was enlarged in accordance with plans by George Fellowes Prynne.In 1886, the population of St Peter's parish amounted to 2,889 and was served by three clergy. The total (morning and evening) attendance as a proportion of the parochial population at that time stood at 39.9%. In 1901, the population of the parish had increased to 4,780 and the number of clergymen in the following year was still three with attendance at its services representing 19.5% of the parochial population.