St Werburgh's Church is in Grange Road, Birkenhead, Wirral, Merseyside, England. It is an active Roman Catholic church in the diocese of Shrewsbury. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.HistoryThe church was built between 1835 and 1837, and was opened on 15 August 1837. The Neoclassical design of the church is usually attributed to M. E. Hadfield, although an alternative suggested accreditation is to John Smith of Liverpool. The church was damaged by bombing in 1941 when a nearby school was destroyed. In March 1995 the neighbouring church of St Laurence closed. The parish of St Laurence has been combined with that of St Werburgh to form the parish of St Werburgh and St Laurence.ArchitectureSt Werburgh's is constructed in pink ashlar sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Its basement is rusticated. At the west and east ends are full-height angle pilasters, and a pediment with a cross on the apex. Protruding from the west end is a porch with a flat roof and a south doorway. On the north wall of the church are windows in flat entablatures with scrolled brackets. Protruding from the north wall are two confessionals. The nave is in five bays, and the interior of the church has been re-ordered.