Standley Lake is a 1200acre reservoir located in Westminster, Colorado. While originally constructed to provide water for the agricultural irrigation of the surrounding region northwest of Denver, it now serves primarily as the municipal water supply for the cities of Westminster, Northglenn, and Thornton. The lake is also used for recreation, and is the prominent feature of the surrounding 3000acre Standley Lake Regional Park.The reservoir has a maximum capacity of approximately 42,000acre.ft and maximum depth of 96 feet. Most of the reservoir's water is transported over 16 miles from Clear Creek to the south by way of the Church Ditch, Farmer's Highline Canal and Croke Canal. It also receives water from Coal Creek by way of the Kinnear Ditch and from Woman Creek.The lake is owned by the Farmers Reservoir and Irrigation Company (FRICO) while the surrounding park and the recreational use of the lake are managed by the City of Westminster.HistoryAround 1870, John S. Kinnear filed a homestead claim on part of the land which would become Standley Lake, and constructed Kinnear Ditch to bring water from Coal Creek to fill a reservoir on his land. By the 1890s the Kinnear Reservoir was owned by Thomas P. Croke. In 1902 Croke joined with Joseph A. Standley, for whom the lake is named, and Milton Smith to incorporate the Farmers Reservoir and Irrigation Company, with the purpose of constructing a system of canals and reservoirs to irrigate the farmland north of Denver. Ottawa Joseph ("O.J.") Standley, vice-president of Chicago Title and Trust, had plans to build a reservoir in the Barr Lake area. However, together with Croke, he decided to greatly enlarge the Kinnear Reservoir instead.