Stratford is a town in Fulton County, New York, United States. The population was 610 at the 2010 census. The town is in the northwest corner of the county, northeast of the village of Dolgeville. It was named after Stratford, Connecticut.HistoryThe town comprises patents of various pre-Revolutionary grants, including part of the extensive land grants of Sir William Johnson. Settlement began around 1800 by settlers from Connecticut. The town was formed in 1805 from the town of Palatine while still part of Montgomery County. Part of the town was removed in 1842 to form part of the town of Caroga.The population of Stratford was 353 in 1810.GeographyAccording to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 198.6km2, of which 193.9km2 is land and 4.6km2, or 2.34%, is water.The north town line is the border of Hamilton County, and the west town line is the border of Herkimer County, partially delineated by East Canada Creek. The town is in the Adirondack Park.