The mission of The Branch Museum of Architecture and Design is to elevate awareness of the transformative power of architecture and design.
The Branch is located in Richmond’s historic Fan District at 2501 Monument Avenue. It is the only individual structure on Monument Avenue that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1953 the family gave the Branch House to the Richmond Area Community Chest and Community Council, now known as the United Way of Greater Richmond, in memory of the owners.
In 1982 the house was purchased by Richmonder Robert Pogue and used as the headquarters for Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company’s Richmond office. During his ownership, the Branch House was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places and remains the largest single-family residence in Richmond, as well as the only building of historic easement on Monument Ave.
In 2003 the property was sold to The Virginia Foundation for Architecture and is now The Branch Museum of Architecture and Design.