|About||A local currency, pay-what-you-feel cafe, and community organisation. Part of the spectacular #Bowie memorial in #Brixton �|
The B£ has several goals, which are to:
- Help protect jobs and livelihoods of community members within Brixton through developing a strong local economy
- Support and build diversity and resilience in the local Brixton economy in light of difficult economic times and chain store power
- Raise community awareness of the local Brixton economy
- Encourage and facilitate a self help model and ethos in order to protect the social and financial futures of the residents of Brixton
- Encourage local sourcing of goods to decrease CO2 emissions
- Raise Brixton’s profile regionally and nationally and contribute to positive perceptions of Brixton by drawing attention to its strong community, diverse economy and capacity for innovation
|Description||The Brixton Pound (B£) strengthens Brixton’s independent businesses, builds a more connected community, and celebrates the area’s character. We believe in economic justice and building a local economy that is sustainable, creates opportunities for local people, and is distinctly Brixton.|
|Founded||17th September 2009 (launch date)|
The whole point of a local currency is that it benefits the community. But that doesn't mean it's all give and no get. If you're a Brixton resident or regular, there's more than one very good reason to get involved:
Many businesses will give you a special discount for spending B£s. See who these good people are here: http://brixtonpound.org/offers
By spending B£s you are helping to strengthen your local community. By ensuring that more money sticks around (instead of disappearing off to boardrooms, shareholders or tax havens!), we all get more than we bargained for.
You'll play an important part in helping local businesses to thrive in the face of a difficult economic climate and fierce competition from chain stores. Running an independent business can be tough at the best of times, but the benefits to all are real.
By localising our spending we can collectively enourage more local supply chains. With a real environmental crisis in the making, local economies can play a big part in decreasing carbon footprints.
(There are more - but you gotta stop somewhere!), by signing up online you can use our free and convenient mobile payment platform. Either pay-by-text, or download our shiny new app. Each business pays a 1.5% charger (cheaper than accepting traditional card payments), which goes straight into our micro-grants scheme for local project, the Brixton Fund. 'Nuff. Said.
Want more? Here's 12 Reasons To Use The Brixton Pound: http://www.buzzfeed.com/brixtonpound/12-reasons-to-use-the-brixton-pound-gz2z
Ready? Sign up online here: https://brixtonpound.community-currency.org/en/register/