|Work hours||Add information|
In 1920, the Georgia Tucker Elementary School construction project was completed, and the new school opened its doors for classes. Now, almost one hundred years later, the construction renovation project is nearing completion and will open its doors for residents as The Gardens at Georgia Tucker Assisted Living Facility. The school was named after Georgia Tucker Stubbs, and the property for the school was donated in her honor by her son, Frank Stubbs. Georgia had a daughter who married Dr. Robert Layton and built the Layton Castle on South Grand. Quite an impressive family.
Mayor Forsythe oversaw the construction, and through the years the school welcomed many of Monroe’s children into her classrooms and saw much of the growth and expansion of the city around her grounds. Georgia Tucker also is the final resting place of Admiral Byrd's lead sled dog for his expedition to the South Pole. Unalaska was on tour with Admiral Byrd at Forsythe Park in 1931 when he died. A very interesting story.
The Gardens at Georgia Tucker will feature twenty guest rooms in the renovated school building. The historical elements of the building will be retained such as the large central auditorium and stage with guest rooms located off of the large school hallways. The residents will enjoy café dining, exercise room, beauty salon, private rooms, and a chapel. The Gardens at Georgia Tucker will begin accepting room reservations in October 2017 and will open for resident arrival in January 2018. 98 years after the school opened for the arrival of its first resident-the school children of old Monroe.