|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The Stafford House was built circa 1843, making it the oldest standing home in Paintsville. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.|
The Francis M. Stafford House is a historic house located at 102 Broadway, Paintsville, Kentucky, United States.
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places not only for its architecture, but for its family's importance in the founding and development of Paintsville. In 1843, John Stafford, the original owner of the house, helped establish the city of Paintsville. In the 1930s, the Stafford family sold most of their 1,000 acres (400 ha) farm to the city, doubling the town's size.
The rear part of the home was built circa 1843, making it the oldest house in Johnson County. Although the home was originally built for John Stafford, it is named for his son, Francis Stafford, who accumulated his father's property after he died in 1869. Francis would later be responsible for building the main part of the home in 1888.
At one time, the Stafford farm included several other buildings, among which were a smokehouse, a store house, a coal house, several barns, a corn crib and a grist mill, which was located below the home on Paint Creek.
Since 1979, after the death of May Stafford, the daughter of Francis M. Stafford, the house has remained vacant.
For more information contact Paintsville Tourism at 606-297-1469 or the City of Paintsville at 606-789-2600.