The Lido, Bristol is an historic lido situated in Oakfield Place in the Whiteladies Road area of Clifton, Bristol, England. Originally opened in approximately 1850, the pool eventually fell into disrepair and was closed in 1990. Despite being considered for demolition, the building was given Grade II* listed building status in 1998. It was purchased by the Bristol Glass Boat Company who restored the pool, for its reopening in November 2008.HistoryThe Lido was originally built in 1849 and opened on 29 July 1850 under the name Clifton Lido. The building frontage is in a classical style, originally housing the medicinal baths, offices and the boiler room. Behind the main building is a rectangular 250m2 swimming pool., with the entire site covering a total of 885m2.The central doorway is in an Egyptian style, with an additional doorway added in 1867 for The Victoria public house, which occupies part of the site. The pool has galleries on two sides, built in cast iron over two floors. On the third side there is a row of cubicles, canopied and with wooden panelled fronts. The pool itself is heated, the oldest surviving heated pool in the country.Closure and restorationThe pool had fallen into significant disrepair by 1990 when it was closed to the public, and was considered for demolition. However, the Lido and accompanying public house were designated Grade II* listed building status on 12 June 1998 and is set in a Conservation Area.In 2005 it was acquired by the Bristol Glass Boat Company, who restored the pool with the addition of substantial spa facilities with saunas and other treatment rooms and built a restaurant and café. It reopened in November 2008 as The Lido, Bristol. The pool is kept at 24 °C, and the building offers spa treatments and massages. Priority is given to members, meaning day visitors are turned away at busy times.