|Work hours||Add information|
|About||A Bible Based Church where Christ is the Center.|
It is the mission of the First African Baptist Church of Statesboro, Incorporated to fulfill that divine task of spreading the Christian gospel by displaying LOVE to everyone and encouraging everyone to accept the gift of salvation as given and shown by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In carrying out this mission, our task is to engage in Christian fellowship, missionary work, and spiritual growth through Christian education and experiences.
Therefore, it is our goal to be actively and spiritually involved in carrying out this mission through various church ministries. We promise to follow the divine order of God in reaching the eternal goal of everlasting life.
To achieve this goal, we will engage ourselves in the following objectives:
1. Develop, offer and participate in Christian ministries and activities that encourage strong Christian faith.
2. Provide necessary administrative and leadership support that encourage strong Christian faith.
3. Provide financial support for ministries, facilities, and administrative task that encourage strong Christian faith.
4. Develop appropriate facilities for the development of strong Christian faith.
The First African Baptist Church of Statesboro, Georgia, was organized in July 1889 by Reverend Inman Bryant of Guyton,, Georgia. Fourteen individuals were instrumental in founding and organizing the first church. Namely, Bob and Lizzie Hall, Tom Ramsey, Rick and Adeline Thompson, Edman and Cila Day, Jack and Sarah Ramsey, John and Mary Kiner, Warren and Lue Long, and Rev. Jack Lovett.
The church was named in honor of its founder, Mr. Bob Hall. It was located on what is now Institute Street and carried the name Hall Baptist Church.
During the early life of Hall Baptist Church, the congregation moved to the corner of Church Street and Cotton Avenue. The name was changed to the First African Baptist Church in 1900.
The church has had a number of ministers to serve as Pastor throughout its history.
These ministers are as follows:
Rev. Jack Lovett- 1889
Rev. S.D. Rozier- 1894
Rev. S.P. Campbell- 1897
Rev. S.D. Rozier- 1900
Rev. J.W. Carr- 1905
Rev. W. M. Maxwell- 1906
Rev. S.D. Rozier- 1908
Rev. R.J. Johnson- 1914
Rev. D.G. Smith- 1922
Rev. J.P. Murphy- 1930
Rev. W.D. Kent- 1949
Rev. Bennie Brinson- 1972
Rev. Frankie Owens, Sr. 2000-
From 1921 to 1949, the church was a member of the Walker Missionary Baptist Association. It returned to the Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Association under the direction of Rev. W.D. Kent in 1949.
In 1978, the building on Institute Street was purchased from the congregation of the Statesboro Church of God. This action enabled the church congregation to return to Institute Street, the original location of its founding. In 1979, ten members separated from the congregation and went back to the old site on Church Street and Cotton Avenue. The name that this group adopted was The Old Historical First African Baptist Church.
In 1988, the congregation which remained at the site on Institute Street modified its name to The First African Baptist Church of Statesboro, Georgia, Inc. (duly incorporated under the laws of the State o