|Work hours||Add information|
Welcome to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC: http://www.un.org/ecosoc/en):The central platform on Economic, Social and Environmental Issues.
The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is a body within the United Nations system that serves as the main forum to discuss international economic and social issues and coordinate the related work of the 14 United Nations specialized agencies, functional commissions and five regional commissions. ECOSOC has the power to formulate policy recommendations addressed to Member States and the United Nations system.
The Council’s main responsibilities are to:
- Serve as the main forum to discuss international economic and social issues,
- Promote higher standards of living, full employment and economic and social progress,
- Advance solutions to international economic, social and health-related problems, as well as international cultural and educational cooperation; and
- Encourage universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The important discussions fostered by the Council include such global topics as the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals, strengthened emergency humanitarian assistance and coordinated financing for development and development cooperation. ECOSOC promotes the economic and social needs of post-conflict countries and has recently increased its engagement in the work of the United Nations Peace Building Commission. Furthermore, the Council works to secure continuous political commitment from Member States and emphasizes international cooperation and coordination in all aspects of its work.
ECOSOC consults with civil society groups, including non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the private sector, and is the main body that recommends consultative status to NGOs. Over 3,000 NGOs from around the world now enjoy consultative status with the Council.
For more information, please visit:
1. A list of sites on the work of ECOSOC:
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
2. A list of entities that ECOSOC works with.