Vlčany is a village and municipality in Šaľa District, in the Nitra Region of south-west Slovakia.GeographyThe village lies at an altitude of 112 metres and covers an area of 39.764 km².HistoryIn historical records the village was first mentioned in 1113. After the Austro-Hungarian army disintegrated in November 1918, Czechoslovak troops occupied the area, later acknowledged internationally by the Treaty of Trianon. Between 1938 and 1945 Vlčany once more became part of Miklós Horthy's Hungary through the First Vienna Award. From 1945 until the Velvet Divorce, it was part of Czechoslovakia. Since then it has been part of Slovakia.PopulationIt has a population of about 3460 people. The village is about 72% Magyar, 26% Slovak and 2% Romany.GovernmentThe village has its own birth registry office and police force covering the municipality.