The Robert A. Welch Hall (abbreviated WEL) is a building located on the University of Texas at Austin campus.HistoryBefore Welch Hall was constructed, the space was designated for Brackenridge Dormitory .The original building was designed by Herbert M. Greene - Laroche & Dahl Architects from Dallas, Texas in 1929. September 20, 1929 is the date noted on the original plans. Two more wings were added to this building in 1959 and 1974. The 1959 wing was designed by Preston M. Geren of Fort Worth, Texas. Page Southerland Page of Austin, Texas were the consulting architects and engineers. Wyatt C. Hedrick Architects and Engineers Inc. of Houston Texas designed the 1974 wing.In October 1996, the building caught fire from a research project. In response, the university committed $30.2 million to renovate the hall and updated safety equipment, along with retrofit of equipment to meet new safety standards.