We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
West Ealing railway station

West Ealing railway station

Drayton Green Rd, London, W13 0NQ, United Kingdom

Get Directions

+448457000125

Categories
Now OPEN
Work hours
MO 06:00 – 19:40 SA 06:00 – 19:40
TU 06:00 – 19:40 SU closed
WE 06:00 – 19:40
TH 06:00 – 19:40
FR 06:00 – 19:40
Description West Ealing railway station is on the Great Western Main Line in Ealing, west London. It is 6mi down-line from and is situated between to the east and and to the west. Its three-letter station code is WEA.The station and all main line trains serving it are currently operated by Great Western Railway. It is also served by Heathrow Connect. The station is staffed for part of the day.HistoryThe station was opened in 1871 as Castle Hill and Ealing Dene on the Great Western Railway, which was constructed from London Paddington through Ealing to Maidenhead in 1836–1838. From 1 March 1883, the station—then named Castle Hill (Ealing Dean)—was served by District Railway services running between and Windsor. This service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885. The station was located next to the London Co-operative Society's main creamery, and so was equipped with a dedicated milk train platform.Originally the station consisted of four platforms in a staggered layout: platform 1 and the island comprising platforms 2 and 3 to the west of the Drayton Green Road bridge, and platform 4 on the east side. Platform 1 (along with a siding leading up to it) was demolished in the late 1960s, followed by platform 2 being partially demolished and fenced off by early 1991 as trains on the main line no longer serviced the station. By early 1990, platform 4 was demolished and moved west of the bridge, partially covering the site of the then long-closed milk depot. From around 1985 to 1990, access to the original platform 4 was opposite the station building, across Drayton Green Road bridge. The current station building was completed in early 1987, following the demolition of the previous century-old building a year earlier. A west-facing terminating platform, platform 5, was added in 2016 for trains on the Greenford branch.

Similar places nearby