Official Facebook Page for Westtown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania.
In 1685, three years after the formation of Chester County by William Penn, Westtown Township was established by English Quakers who immigrated to the area to farm the land. Encompassing approximately nine square miles in the eastern part of the county, Westtown’s borders have not changed since its founding. Significant moments in Westtown history include a role in the Battle of the Brandywine in 1777 as British forces advanced through the Township, and the establishment of Camp Elder, a Civil War POW camp. The Township is also home of the Westtown School, founded in 1799, and Oakbourne Mansion, built in 1882. Despite the extension of the railroad west from Philadelphia, little growth occurred in Westtown until the 1960’s. The population was only 992 in 1950, but has grown to 10,827, according to the 2010 census.
1039 Wilmington Pike, West Chester (PA), United States