|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The purpose of the Women's Auxiliary shall be to help by its efforts and activities to support Saint Edmond's Home for Children.|
|Mission||The purpose of this organization shall be to help by its efforts and activities to support Saint Edmond's Home for Children.|
The Women's Auxiliary of St. Edmond's Home for Handicapped Children was founded in 1917 by the Archbishop of Philadelphia, the Most Reverend Edmond F. Prendergast. Archbishop Prendergast had founded the Home for the care and training of handicapped children in 1916. Mrs. Mary Mundy was asked to organize an auxiliary for the purpose of raising funds to maintain the Home and supply nursing care and therapy aids for the children. Mrs. Mundy and a group of Catholic laywomen set up an organization able to achieve these goals and continue the service and care of the children of the Home for over seventy years to the present time. A charter was granted to the Auxiliary in 1924.
The Home served as headquarters for the Auxiliary and in the early years was the site of its fund raising. There were breakfasts, lunches, card parties and bingo games given to help the children. An Annual Appeal was made by mail to the Catholic community. In 1957 the Home was moved to Rosemont and Auxiliary funds were used to furnish the new buildings and the chapel. The Auxiliary also maintained a summer camp "The Cedars" which had been given to the
Home when the children could benefit from camp activities. "The Cedars" was discontinued in 1982 as the children were too handicapped for camp life. In 1985, the Auxiliary provided funds of over $300,000 to renovate the Home and bring it into compliance with State regulations and purchase state-of-the-art equipment.
The Auxiliary's most glamorous fund raiser took place in 1966 when the women were asked to sponsor the premiere of "The Flying Nun" with Debbie Reynolds. Debbie herself was present and introduced the children from the Home in her "thank yous" to a full audience. Over $25,000 was raised which at that time was a large amount for a single event.
A tea was given for Grace Kelly, then Princess of Monaco, when she visited the Home. Princess Grace toured the Home while the children were given rides on the motorcycles of the Philadelp