World Jewish Relief is the UK Jewish community's international agency. We combat poverty among the world's most vulnerable Jewish communities and beyond.
World Jewish Relief is the UK Jewish community’s leading international humanitarian agency. The expertise that we have developed over more than 80 years means that we tackle Jewish poverty, primarily in the Former Soviet Union, and reach beyond our community.
• We create opportunities for those out of work or living with disability to become self-reliant.
• We meet the physical and emotional needs of older people
• We respond to the immediate and longer term recovery needs of those affected by catastrophic disasters worldwide.
(These should link through to relevant areas within ‘what we do’)
We do all of this as an expression of the Jewish ethos to: “Anticipate charity by preventing poverty” (Maimonides).
Over the next five years, we aim to:
• Take 100,000 people, the majority from within Jewish communities, out of poverty by helping them to help themselves.
• Support 50,000 older Jews to live dignified lives.
• Assist those affected by disaster by strengthening our role as the British Jewish community’s response to international emergencies
Our core commitments:
- Jewish Values: We are committed to applying Jewish values to all that we do.
- Courage: We are committed to taking bold actions to reduce poverty and ensure better futures for those we support.
- Partnership: We are committed to building partnerships that create a long-term, sustainable legacy, particularly within the communities within which we work.
- Expertise: We are committed to developing sector-leading expertise in every area of our organisation.
Shortlisted for Charity Times Awards 2011 for the Best Use of Web category for the newly launched gifts website Wjrapped Up.