Les cookies nous permettent de personnaliser le contenu et les annonces, d'offrir des fonctionnalités relatives aux médias sociaux et d'analyser notre trafic. En savoir plus…
Sivells Bend United Methodist Church

Sivells Bend United Methodist Church

Corner FM 1201 And CR 437, Sivells Bend (TX), 76240, United States

Comment s'y rendre?

(940) 665-9646

Ajouter le lien vers le site

Heures Ajouter l'information
Please come visit
Worship time, first and third Sunday at 9:00 a.m.
Rev. Roslyn Eugster, pastor
Sivells Bend United Methodist Church cover
Description The Sivells Bend Methodist church was first organized in 1869 as the Sivells Bend Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first circuit preacher was S. J. Cobb. The North Texas Conference had been formed in 1867 by the division of the East Texas Conference and was first called Trinity Conference.
The first services were held in the homes, perhaps as few times as once a month, when the circuit rider preacher could make his way to Sivells Bend on horseback or in a carriage. Some of the early names on the register in 1870-’90 were Kate Allen Bettie Gunter, Bettie (Dillard) Howell, W.P. and Susana Langford and George and Pre Midkiff.
In 1880, a large, two story building was erected on the present site of Sivells Bend School. This was donated and deeded to the Sivells Bend Episcopal Methodist Church by the Gunter brothers. It was used as their place of worship as well as for school classes. The second floor housed the Masonic Lodge Hall. Sadly, the building burned in 1893 and again the members met in the homes.
In 1910, W.W. Gunter, deeded one acre of land for a church building at the present site. In 1912, the present church was constructed and has had continuous services being supplies with a pastor from the North Texas Methodist Conference, with the exception of a few years during World War II.
By 1914, the membership expanded rapidly as persons moved into the area for share cropping and farming. The pastor, M.A. Stout (1914-1918) received more that fifty members. The church roll in 1918 shows more than 100 members.
There was a hitching rail for those who rode their horses or came in buggies. The cowboys from the surrounding ranches came, the preacher asked that they remove their spurs, “as they made too much noise.” A carbide light plant was installed and the building wired for the gas lights. This made evening meetings possible.
Mrs. C.H. Bush, who came as a bride to Sivells Bend in 1914, told that they had to put bars (rods) across the back windows,
Fondée 1868

Les places semblables à proximité