Feraud General Merchandise Store, also known as 1903 Building, was built in 1903 in Ventura, California. Jules Feraud opened the Feraud Bakery and Grocery Store and the bakery stayed in the family until 1944. The brick building is a rare intact example of turn-of-the-century commercial architecture during Second Land Boom (1887 – 1905) after the tracks of the Southern Pacific Railroad arrived in Ventura. The City Council of Ventura designated the building Historic Landmark Number 35 by resolution on July 17, 1978. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.Location and notable tenantsThe primary address is 2 W. Main Street where a bar currently operates. 12 W. Main Street became a barbershop in mid 1940's where Phillip E. Marquez "Phil the Barber" operated for 63 years. Phil the Barber retired in 2010 at the age of 96 and died on February 15, 2011. His family was among the original settlers of what was known as "Tortilla Flats" and he was considered a local icon cutting hair for generations of Venturans on the West Side. The Mayor Of Ventura declared June 5, 2011 "Phil Marquez Day" The Store currently operates as Artisan Soap and Bath store, but has photo's of Phil donated by the Marquez Family on Display. There are also two addresses, 25 and 35 south Ventura Avenue, along the side of the building.Historical contextThe Mission San Buenaventura is about two blocks east of the building as the early commercial district was centered around the mission including the extant Arcade Building, 38-50 west Main Street, that is just west of the Feraud building. These buildings are just outside the Mission Historic District that lies on the other side of Ventura Avenue to the east.