|有关我们||Zabriskie House-believed to be the oldest house in Wyckoff. Built by Dutch settlers William & John Van Voor Haze in 1730 and once used as a store & tavern|
The Van Voorhees – Quackenbush – Zabriskie House, referred to as the Zabriskie House, was built circa 1730 by William Van Voorhees on 550 acres of land, that William and his brother, John, had purchased in 1720. It is believed to be the oldest house in what is now the Township of Wyckoff. The original house is the present day dining room.
A second building was erected a few years later and the two buildings were incorporated into the classically Dutch addition completed in 1824 by William’s then elderly son, Albert. Albert had served as a private in the Bergen County militia during the Revolutionary War.
Albert’s grandson, Albert J., was the last member of the family to live in the house. His widow, Jane, lived there until 1863. The house was sold in 1864 for $3000.00 but it remained vacant until it was purchased in 1867 by Uriah Quackenbush, who grew up in the neighboring house, which is now the Brownstone Inn (currently closed).
Uriah and his wife, Kaziah, had only one child, John, who survived to adulthood, and John had only one child, Grace Quackenbush, b. 1883, who was two when her father died. Grace was raised in the house by her grandparents and in 1906 she married John B. Zabriskie. Mrs. Zabriskie inherited the house from her grandfather in 1921 and lived there until her death in 1973, when she willed the classically Dutch house and furnishings to the Town of Wyckoff. She had previously (1964) deeded the pond and the acreage surrounding it to the town.
Through its storied history, in addition to being a home, the house served as a store, a candy store, a tavern, an inn and a ballroom.
May we, the people of Wyckoff, love and care for Wyckoff’s home for another 285 years. Let’s preserve our history for our children and grandchildren.